Friday, July 17, 2009

Trying to catch up (again)

Wow, it has been quite a while and I am having a hard time remembering past yesterday. I mean, this morning.

Random recollections: I managed to make some escarole last week. I think in past years I picked up my escarole mixed in with the other head lettuces, and never figured out that what I had was actually escarole. So I never gave much thought about what to do with it. We just ate it as salad. Most of the recipes for escarole that I've seen entail cooking it with beans or just wilting it with garlic and olive oil and salt. I went with the latter method, but did it with a little seitan, toasted sesame oil, tamari, and crushed pepper, too. Served over brown rice. Matt did not like it, but he was the only one. I pawned off some of the leftover stuff from last week back on my share-sharers (parents). They got home on Sunday, so I gave them some cabbage and a couple of broccoli.

I don't remember anything else about last week, except this:
Monday dinner:
Matt cooked. Wasn't ready til after 10pm, and was not very good. Butchering of one of our weekday classics, based on this recipe from 101cookbooks and made with our own homemade harissa paste.


This week -- and when I say this week, I mean the one that is nearly over -- we got from our 1/2 of a full share from Cherry Grove farm:
1/4 pound salad mix
1/4 pound arugula
2 heads lettuce (romaine!)
1 small bunch basil
1 kohlrabi
1/2 bunch little carrots
1/2 bunch scallions
1 small bunch chard
1 small bunch lacinato kale
1 small bunch toscano kale
1 cabbage
4 cukes
1 pound zucchini
1 1/2 pounds red potatoes

PYO: 10 stems mixed flowers (snapdragons, black-eyed susans, and my favorite crazy feathery ones), small bunch parsley, thyme, mint.

Tuesday dinner and delicious Wednesday lunch:
Orecchiette with Pistachio-Mint Pesto and Scallions (me). This is amazing. From a Frank Falcinelli/Frank Castronovo recipe.
Chopped Salad with romaine, celery, carrots, cucumbers and balsamic dressing made with languishing scapes, rather than minced garlic (Matt).

That was damn good, times two.

Wednesday dinner:
Matt cooked again. Another favorite butchered. This time, koshary. From Francis Lam's recipe, which Matt obviously did not read.

Thursday dinner:
Leftover rice.
Grilled tofu (marinated in shoyu, vinegar, garlic, molasses).
Grilled zucchini.
Sauteed chard and garlic.

Friday -- off on a weekend trip to Ithaca!!! Will have to cook like mad on our return.

No comments: