Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Ithaca

We had a really great time. It was relaxing and full. Our hosts at the Inn on Columbia provided most excellent breakfasts for us, catered to our dietary preferences, and inspired us to try harder to make and eat breakfast. I suspect a little advance planning could help.

Cooking like mad on our return meant reheating leftovers on Sunday [dinner], and making a salad with creamy herb dressing. Matt resurrected his koshary by pan-frying it to dry it out. It was much better, but there was not enough for the parents to have some. We just had salad and a late-night bowl of cereal.

On Monday morning, I toasted a handful of walnuts and threw them into the food processor with our basil and parsley, which had done very well in the fridge for nearly a week. I had them in a glass of water with a plastic bag wrapped around. I added garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, and made a really nice pesto. I was really glad those herbs didn't go to waste from my neglect.

Monday lunch was panini with the last of the olive tapenade I made ages ago, and mozzarella and baby lettuces. Vegan cookies from Whole Foods (so-so). We picnicked at GFDL and then went wading in the fountain outside the Woodrow Wilson school.

Monday dinner:
Matt seems to like it when I tell him what to make for dinner, even if he doesn't make exactly that. I told him to make mashed potatoes with our farm potatoes and garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. And to serve it with a dollop of pesto on top. I also suggested making a salad and some sauteed vegetables. He made mashed potatoes with the pesto mixed in, and a salad with the leftover dressing, and some curried vegetables: cabbage, kale, and carrots. Practically the same thing, and all very good.

No comments: