Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Weekly roundup (October 20)

It is always good to post regularly, if only so that I can remember what we cooked and ate!

Thursday dinner:
I did manage to make a summer squash and kale gratin with arugula pesto and a bit of gruyere. Casseroles are so good. I also made a pot of mash-up brown rice, a little basmati and a little short-grain. I had to dash out to take D to dance class and to see Having Our Say, which was riveting and touching and amazing. We packed up some dinner to tide us over until we got home (late! 10pm!). I had also washed some lettuce and Matt whipped up some dressing for a salad.

Friday dinner:
We had some lovely groundnut stew and pasta at our friends' house. Our contribution was beet and fennel salad from the A16 Food + Wine recipe. And vanilla cake. For dessert there was also some Trader Joe's soy vanilla ice cream and soemthing called Rumtopf, which is boozy, German marinated fruit in, I guess, rum. It was very nice.

Saturday was about a lot of running about in the cold rain. We weren't home to cook.

Sunday lunch/dinner:
For my mom's birthday we made a big salad of lettuce and radish with a shallot-thyme vinaigrette, a big pot of coconut milk soup sweet potato and collard greens, and some guajillo chile-chocolate cupcakes. My mom and her friend made dhokla (sp?), which is a cake like thing made from a batter of soaked and ground chickpea, lentil, and rice, which is then steamed and cooled, topped with cilantro and seeds, and cut into pieces. Typically served with chutney.

Monday lunch/dinner:
I made a massive pot of orzo with about 2 1/2 bunches of kale. We had that for lunch and dinner, with some salad.

No comments: